Friday, May 23, 2008

My hubby's growing up :-)

Two days in a row he has tried something out of his ordinary repertoires of dinners. Last night was the second marvel. I love tuna salad. The first time I ever made it after we were married, Rob recounted a childhood story of eating a tuna sandwich at a friend's house and puking repeatedly afterward. I can't blame him for being a little wary... but four years later, we have had a breakthrough!

We had a few extra tuna steaks from Wednesday night's dinner. I chopped it, added a few tablespoons of mayo, some mustard, boiled eggs and sweet pickle relish. I would've added some chopped onion but I didn't want to run Robert off completely from the idea. It was probably the best tuna salad I've ever made. I think the seasoned, fresh tuna steaks made the difference.

Robert likes to frequent a place in Tuscaloosa called Jimmy Johns. I could care less about the sandwiches there, but the bread is fantastic. I honestly don't know what kind it is but it's GOOD. I think it was Tuesday the last time Robert went there for lunch. Jimmy Johns offers any bread that is leftover from the day before for $0.50. So, after his lunch, he packed up a couple of loaves of that bread... and I am so glad he did.

We put that tuna salad on that yummy bread and THAT was a good dinner :-) Good Eats From My Kitchen to Yours!

As a side note:
I made some herb roasted tomatoes the other night just to have around. I found they made an excellent addition. The recipe is below.

2 pounds ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to thoroughly coat. Place in a single layer on a wire rack placed on top of a baking sheet and bake until moist-dried, about 2 hours.

No comments: