Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Nothing New Under the Sun

So I have a friend named Jaime who has a food blog and then her sister, Erin, started one not long ago... I figured I should jump on the bandwagon. I'd hate to be left out :-)

I've always like to be in the kitchen. When we were little, my sister and I would attempt to make my parents breakfast in bed... especially on Saturdays. In order to "surprise" them, we would get up really early, like 6 AM and start "tip toeing" around the kitchen... we did this as best as a 6 year old and a 4 year old could. In the end, one or both of our parents would end up awake wondering why on earth their 6 year old was playing with the stove while standing in a chair.

We never meant any harm, nor did we realize the dangers we were encroaching on in those wee hours on Saturday mornings. All we knew is that we wanted to show our parents how much we loved them. The same thing holds true for me today. If food was one of the "Five Love Languages", it would definitely be mine. When I cook for you, it means that I love you and I want to show you.

I must confess, the past couple of months, there hasn't been a whole lot of love in my kitchen. Between starting a new business myself and my husband working a new schedule in a new city, some adjustments have had to be made. I finally bought groceries today for the first time in probably 2 months... like really bought groceries. I spent over $130. I got into a little trouble with "the man" but I think he'll be glad I did it.

My favorite thing to do in cooking is to take an idea home from a restaurant or a recipe from somewhere else and make it my own - add my own flair to it. Tonight's experiment is Yellowfin Tuna with Sweet Corn Salad and Butter Peas. Rob, my husband, is an extremely picky eater so just in case, I have grilled him some corn on the cob and made him some garlic butter to go on it. I have a feeling we'll both be glad I did. I'll let you know how it goes either tonight or tomorrow. Until then, Good Eats from My Kitchen to Yours!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And those Sat. morning breakfast were the best!