Thursday, June 26, 2008

Long Time No Cook

I have literally been out of town for two weeks. I left on the evening of June 9th... came home June 14th and turned around to leave again on the 15th. The first week I was teaching VBS Arts & Crafts to 40 something children. The second week, I was at the beach getting a sunburn and relaxing after having spent a week with 40 something children. I didn't cook but 1 time during those two weeks and that was just because I had started marinating pork chops with good intentions... I will say, they sat in the bag of my homemade marinade for 2 days before I cooked them and I don't know that I would do it differently. These chops were AWESOME. I would venture to say some of the best I have ever made. My only lament is that Robert did not get to try them. I guess that is all the more reason for me to make them again! I also wish I had taken a picture because these boogers were beautiful! I'm just not good like some people when it comes to snapping pictures of my food before I eat it! Let me know if you try these. Also, as a side note, you can totally use this marinade on EVERYTHING. I made it up one day and have been making it up ever since. It starts with a dry rub or sorts (Special Seasoning) and then you add a couple of wet ingredients. From My Kitchen to Yours, Good Eats!

Special Seasoning
(good for everything- this recipe seasons 4 chicken breasts, pork chops or steaks)

1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne

To use as a marinade, add:

1 cup of Hickory BBQ Sauce
2 TSP Hickory Liquid Smoke (on the BBQ aisle)

6 boneless, center cut pork chops (I like the thick ones).

Season each chop with the seasoning on each side OR just put enough of the seasoning in the bag to coat the chops nicely. Add the BBQ Sauce and the Liquid Smoke. Let these sit in the bag AT LEAST 24 hours. Stick 'em on the grill for a few minutes... HAVE DINNER!

We serve our pork chops with a "loaded" sweet potato (brown sugar, butter, cinnamon). So not healthy, but OH so yummy!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

This sounds great! I'm always looking for new marinades. I'll have to try this.

Anonymous said...

The Hawsey boys said these were the best pork chops they ever had (and not to my face either)! I've had a request for them in the Brown House this week.